HW7: NOT due Thursday, will be reissued

In class today, I canceled Part 1 of Homework #7 because we haven’t really reached the point I’d want to be at for you to do it.

With this blog post, I hereby cancel Homework #7, in its current form, in its entirety.

To clarify: the task asked of you in Part 2 is something that you can do, and if you are left with a big gap in your schedule that would have been occupied with trying to do this part of the homework, feel free to think it through, because most of what you think about will still be relevant when I reissue the homework. However, to the extent that you are asked to draw trees, I think it doesn’t really make any sense to have you doing that now, given that we’re just about to make a change within the structure of the DPs (to include nPs). Rather than have you take the time to draw trees that will immediately be rendered obsolete in certain details, I’ve decided to postpone this part as well.

What I will do, therefore, is re-issue Homework #7 on Thursday, which puts it at pretty much exactly the right time in terms of the point we are at in class with the material. Due to the upcoming Thanksgiving break, the due date will be the Thursday after Thanksgiving, December 2. I will either hand out a revised version on Thursday if I make any changes, or have you update the due date on your existing copy if I determine that no revision is needed.