Mid-semester score translation key

Ok, I’ve had a look at the score distribution, and how I’ve graded the midterm in the past, and so forth. If you wish to convert your midterm score to a letter grade equivalent, use the following (basically, every 2 points is a grade increment):

24 and above A
22 and above A-
20 and above B+
18 and above B
16 and above B-
14 and above C+
12 and above C
10 and above C-

This is a bit generous, since the test was so easy, but dropping a grade increment every point is too harsh, so this looks about right. The grade you get here is yours to keep, but if you got less than about 18, try to be sure you catch back up and understand what went wrong and what’s coming next. The final will not be quite so gently graded.

As for the homework, it’s really quite difficult to get a good sense of it due to the complexities of having different numbers of points per assignment, and the fact that one gets dropped. Here’s how I’m computing it, for better or worse. Each homework is just treated as a percentage (your score over the total possible), and then the lowest percentage is dropped, yielding an average percentage over 4 homework assignments. I’m scaling that the same way, so 92% and up is an A, 84% and up is an A-, 76% and up is a B+, 68% and up is a B, 60% and up is a B-, 52% and up is a C+, 44% and up is a C, etc. That’s also generous, but that balances of some of the intrinsic risk of being confusing in homework assignments, and the fact that it counts for so much of the overall grade.

So, if you do the math, you are going to almost certainly be doing better than you thought if you’d done the math before I gave the scale, but casting my eye over the results, this looks about right to me. On the generous side, but not too much so.