HW6 FAQ v1.0

I’ve gotten a couple of questions about homework 6, here are some quick thoughts about them.

First, yes, in the example tree, I provided an example that has a proper name. We actually still haven’t done proper names in class, but they’ll wind up looking like the example, with a null determiner that is specifically for proper names.

There is also one null determiner in the sentences you are to draw, namely in (1), despite the fact that we only saw our first null determiner yesterday.

This I think isn’t in the book, and it isn’t explicitly in the handouts although we talked through it, but a by-phrase in a passive adjoins to PassP.

The textbook in its discussion of agreement between D and N uses the feature [unum: ], but we’re using [uphi: ] in class. Our version is more general, using just number is a bit more English-specific, but the idea is the same, number features (and in principle, also person and gender features) are copied from the N to the D.

Since a pronoun is just a D, it must not need agreement features, but rather come with them from the start (since it can’t be getting them from N).

I’ll try to add more details later or answer other questions as they arise.