Notes

Just so they don’t disappear into the ether, here are a couple of notes about things that came up during class on Thursday, in case there is some use in looking back on it. I intended to post these on Thursday, but now it is Monday.

Also, on a homework note, even the allegedly fixed part of the previous homework wasn’t fully fixed. There was a different LaTeX error that led to none of the pronouns being printed on the handout. So, ultimately, it was pretty clear where the box was supposed to be, but you had to invent your own pronouns. I’ll try to proofread better in the future, but I’ll also observe that only one person actually mentioned this to me, today [Thursday]. :) I’m hoping that homework 3 turns out to suffer from fewer such flaws.

On to the notes. Things I remember talking about include:

• Merge vs. Adjoin
  • Arguments vs. adjuncts
  • Strong islands vs. weak islands
  • Adjective, adverb order
  • Resumptive pronouns and evidence for “copy theory”
  • The Noun Phrase Accessibility Hierarchy
  • Evidence about whether covert movement also leaves copies
  • QR, evidence for QR, ACD

And also some reassurance that these are supposed to be parts of discussions that are interesting to participate in, but nothing of this is going to be on a test unless it shows up in a homework or other explicitly handed out set of notes (including handouts from the videos).

Categories:

Updated: